Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ode to the Tomato

You would think that I would be writing back to school posts right now. But I am still recovering from all of that, and this is a more pleasant thought for the moment. (We did survive the Back To School experience. Phew!)
I love tomatoes straight from the garden. My dad introduced me to this wonderful taste as a child, and even though there might have been a time when I didn't love tomatoes, I don't remember when that was. Last year, I was craving them so bad! My hunger then has turned into crazy passion now! I just can't get enough. I have made salads and sandwiches with them, I eat a few each day with salt and pepper, this morning, Nate came in and said:
"A bit early to be hitting the salsa, isn't it, Jenny?"
No! Salsa for breakfast is GOOD FOR WHAT AILS YOU! Or GOOD EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT AILING! Just saying.
I made bruschetta for the first time the other night. The mind boggles at how many wonderful combinations of food tomatoes make great. Sigh of contentment. Not sure what I will do with the crop after it starts putting out more than I can eat. Maybe some chili sauce. Something wonderful will be called for. Second best to fresh out of the garden is sitting smugly on my shelf to be enjoyed in the cold of winter. I am posting my bruschetta recipe, as close as I can remember it. Happy harvest, everyone!

4 comments:

Nanette said...

Thanks for the new recipe, there is NOTHING like a fresh home-grown tomato. Nothing.

Karma said...

You are making me jealous! There is truly nothing better than a fresh tomato straight out of the garden!!!

AmyJo Denise said...

Salsa is good any time of day! I love it! My roommate made this green salsa, It was SO so good! I'll have to get the recipe from her & post it!

Heather said...

roflmao!!! way to go w the tomatoes!!! still giggling about the "too early to hit the salsa" remark!!!

The first time I saw my apartment, the first thing that went through my mind when I saw the bedroom is "wow, I can grow great tomatoes on that roof out my bedroom window!" (that proved impossible because it's a carport, for one thing, and there are voracious magpies that hatched the week before I was going to plant, but it was sure a nice thought during the winter!!!)

I love this blog; it makes me feel like I have a family. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Love,
Heather