Friday, March 26, 2010

Sugar Cookie Revelation

I love sugar cookies! They are among my favorites. But the time it takes to roll them is always longer than the time it takes for them to disappear. I hate when the cookies are gone, but you can still smell them!

Yesterday afternoon, I had a cookie attack. I needed cookies NOW!!! So I started flipping through a cookbook, trying to find something that matched my craving, (it is an art to match your craving to the thing you are about to eat) and could be made quickly. From the pages came a beam of light, signalling the ONE! The title: Drop Sugar Cookies. I tremble at the excitement! Could it be possible to have my favorite without the hassle? I had to know! Since I am blogging about it, you can be sure the answer is good!

These are fast, soft and taste perfect. I am a bit of a sugar cookie snob. I like the ones I like, and there can be no substitutes, but this recipe tastes like the genuine article.

Drop Sugar Cookies

3/4 c. sugar

2 tsp. vanilla or lemon extract (I used vanilla)

2 eggs

2/3 c. oil

2 c. flour

2 tsp. baking powder

Mix the sugar, vanilla, eggs and oil until they are uniform color. Add the flour and baking powder, and mix well. The dough will look a bit oily (this worried me, so I share). Drop onto a greased baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 min. Take them out before the edges brown, they will still look a bit doughy. (Unless you are like my mother and like them crispy, then brown away!) Yield: 2 1/2 dozen. I doubled the batch (of course).

I frosted them with a basic powder sugar icing. Bliss! Nathan and Jacob both preferred them without the frosting, so do what you like. I am just so excited that sugar cookies will be showing up more often around here!

10 comments:

Stephanie Bean said...

Sounds so yummy. I can't wait to try it!

Natalie said...

THAT is my kind of recipe. Anything involving "rolling out" I don't do. Well, for one.....I don't even own a rolling pin. I kind of have a make-shift one that I usually have to steal from the playdoh bag when I need stuff rolled out. I will definitely be keeping THIS recipe. Thanks! Oh....and the picture looks great!:)

Penny said...

from one sugar cookie snob to another, Thank you!!!!! I am so excited to try these.

ps If you don't remember me I used to live in Dubois. I was Natalie's Young Woman leader.

Karma said...

I agree about sugar cookes being heaven but the work they take makes them a rarity at our house too. I am definately trying your new recipe - maybe today :) Thanks

Wendy said...

Oh yum. I just finished eating lunch and that sounds like the perfect "after lunch" snack. ::smacking lips::

AO said...

From one sugar cookie snob to another, THESE ARE YUMMY! I can't wait to try them out myself.... and eat the whole batch :) well, I may give one to Collin.

The Land of the Blue Flower said...

i always love your recipes. my kids still make your no bake granola bars.

The Land of the Blue Flower said...

i am getting ready to make these and noticed they call for oil not butter. interesting. do you think i can use butter too? you know me butter in everything… blame it on Grandma she's Danish :)

The Land of the Blue Flower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kjjaco5 said...

I am trying them right now.... for FHE... we will see!!! :)