Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Genius

Last week my microwave died.  Are you kidding me?  We cannot afford to replace my under the counter one right now, so I entered a plea on my local freecycle.  I had a call that same day, saying yes, there was a microwave available, come and get it.  I had quite the time finding the house.  It was on a road called Shooting Star Ave.   I found Galaxy Drive, and Comet Way, so I was sure I was warm, but no.  An hour later, I am still hunting for the shooting star and have to stop by a gym and ask for a phone book to look it up.  (All the while thinking how stupid I was to not have looked it up before I left home....) Finally, among streets with names like Thornbird lane and Elm street, I found the Shooting Star and headed back home, where I knew I was missing Caleb's end of summer pack meeting... 

The man that carried the microwave to my car told me it was easily as old as he was.  He looked about 28.  I told this to Leslie as pack meeting was wrapping up, and her first question was, "Is it wood-paneled?"  Yes.  Home to un-pack our free microwave and give it a home on the counter, we find it has a name.  Look closely:
The Genius.  It has become a new household joke.  Going to heat this up in "The Genius".   I love this quirky old thing for coming to save the day.  I love zapping and nuking my food.  It is fun when the blessings come with a bit of humor thrown in.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

yay! I am glad you found a free one! :) Love the jokes about it!

Karma said...

LOL :) I think all microwaves should be called The Genius!!

Becky said...

don't think I have heard of freecycle! I need a free car for kat---think you could find me one!